Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Duke of Windsor en route to England for funeral

February 7, 1952

The Duke of Windsor, elder brother of the late King George VI, spoke at a press conference tonight at the Verdandah Grill on the sun deck of the Cunard Liner Queen Mary.  His wife, the American-born Duchess of Windsor, was at his side, but she left the ship before it sailed for Southampton.

According to the New York Times, the former King Edward VIII read a short statement:   "This voyage, upon which I am embarking aboard the Queen Mary tonight, is indeed sad -- and it is all the sadder for me because I am undertaking it alone.

"The Duchess is remaining here to await my return. I am sailing for Great Britain for the funeral of a dear brother, and to comfort Her Majesty, my mother, in the overwhelming sorrow which has overtaken my family and the Commonwealth of British Nations.

"This will be the fourth time that I have participated in the obsequies of a British monarch.  Fifty-one years ago it was my great-grandmother Queen Victoria; then, nine years later, my grandfather, King Edward VII; and in 1936 my father, George V. Now by God's will, it is my brother's turn to lie in state in the great hall at Westminster and eventually join his forebears at Windsor.

"The late King and I were very close, and the outstanding qualities of kingship he possessed made it easier for me the passing on of the uninterrupted succession to the throne of the United Kingdom.

"That was over fifteen years ago -- a turbulent decade and a half during which my brother's reign ran its noble course.  Harassed by the dangers and tribulations of a second World War and beset by more than his share of political strike, King George VI steadily maintained the highest standards of constitutional monarchy.

"And these same attributes will, I am sure, descend to his daughter, the new Queen.  I was 41 when I succeeded my father and many considered that 'young.'

"But Queen Elizabeth is only 25, -- how young to assume the responsibilities of a great throne in these precious times!  But she has the good wishes and the support of us all.

"The public tribute to my brother's memory and the personal messages of sympathy the Duchess and I have received here in America, are touching beyond words, and deeply and sincerely by my family, the British people, and by ourselves."

The Duchess of Windsor did not speak.  The Duke did not take any questions.  They posed for "about fifty still photographers and six television cameras.  Afterward, the Duke and Duchess went to his stateroom, where the Duchess said goodbye. She was driven by their home in the Waldorf-Astoria.

The Duke of Windsor is expected to return to the United States after the funeral.

No comments: